Friday, January 28, 2011

Challenges and Insight

This has been a week where I was given a challenge, felt a challenge and gathered insight. I’d say that’s a productive week. The challenge came from Pastor as we prepare for Friends Day at the church coming on February 27th. Each week he has laid out a special challenge for us as a church to do, to help prepare our hearts and minds for Friends Day. This week the challenge was to memorize Matthew 17:18-21. I had to break it down into segments and I do still trip over the wording but for the most part I have it. Just typing it from memory it’s:
And Jesus rebuked the devil, and he departed out from him, and the child was cured from that very hour. And the disciples came to Jesus apart and asked “why could not we cast him out” and Jesus said if you have faith as a grain of a mustard seed, you shall say to this mountain remove hence from yonder place and it will be removed. For this kind comes only from prayer and fasting.
Going back to my bible I see where words are missing and even a full sentence as the scripture reads:
And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour. (Got that right)
Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, why could not we cast him out? (Got that right too)
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; for nothing shall be impossible unto you. (Forgot “because of your unbelief” and messed up the end a little, didn’t even have the last part of the verse)
Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting. (Ah yes, “howbeit” and goeth instead of comes not out by)

I’m still working on it though. :0 Next week is where I’m a little more nervous but I’m excited at the same time. Next week’s challenge is to fast 3 meals. I’ve never fasted other than when I had to have blood work done and it was overnight, blood drawn early in the morning and off to breakfast I went. I can usually fast breakfast without thinking too much about it but then my husband challenged me there too. If fasting is easy, is it really fasting for God? Isn’t fasting supposed to be the giving up of something for Him? I truly don’t know. I need to do my research, get all the facts and do this the right way.
So that was the challenge I was given. The challenge I felt came from my constant worry and anxiety over our financial well-being. Getting notices on an every other day basis doesn’t help me to put that anxiety at bay for long. But I have a wonderful husband who quoted a beautiful section of song to show me that we will get through this. Then (of course this had to be a Wednesday) at church that night Pastor was preaching on trials and struggles and how we should embrace them, entertain them, welcome them. For if God is putting us through this trial or struggle it’s because He deems of worthy of the refiner’s fire knowing that we will learn from this, we will grow from this and that the true test of our faith will be seen through this. Man, talk about a slap in the face. My true faith colors are not passing I can tell you that. I want to give in to the flesh, give up when times are rough, and rely on someone or something else to make it better or easier instead of trusting in God, praying to God or doing for myself what can be done. This is something that I know I will continue to work on and probably struggle with daily but then I’m reminded of the verse where he says “you have not because you ask not” – if I’m taking this burden on my own shoulders, not asking for help, how can I be mad when help doesn’t come? See, I’m learning so much these days J
The insight comes in realizing that finally, after saying I never knew what it was like, the Word is speaking to me. I find myself with highlighter in hand as I begin my reading each day. I have made up for a little of the lost time in my Bible reading this week by covering some of the smaller books of the Bible, reading more than just 2-3 chapters yet I’m always highlighting something. Whether it’s a word or a phrase or a situation, it’s speaking to me and I find great joy and insight in that because I realize that means God is with me. I’ve always said it, always had it in the back of my mind but yet always wondered as I see His presence in the big things of life but not the ordinary every day. What a beautiful motivator, to feel God with you! Could it be that the changes I’m trying to put forth are showing for the work and cause of Christ? I don’t know, only time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment