Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Greatest Gift

Driving to work this week I’ve noticed the marquee out in front of Susan Kasper’s State Farm Insurance and thought it was fitting enough to share. It reads “the greatest gift we can give our children, is to love our spouse.” Boy, isn’t that the truth. I know that there have been times in our 13 years together, in our almost 9 year marriage where I’ve taken for granted the relationship with my husband. Times when I didn’t “love” him the way he deserved to be loved and when I feel like I led a poor example to my children on how to love. It’s quite fitting that this spoke to me since the theme for our wedding, and many weddings I’m sure, was 1 Corinthians 13.
Charity (love) suffereth long, and is kind; charity enveith not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: not I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
When Josh and I were married this was read out of the NIV so the translation is a little different but the central theme is the same. We are to abide in faith, hope and love. We are to put away our old selves and our selfishness for our spouses so we can grow together in marriage and together in Christ Jesus. We are to endure the hard times and trials of life, coming out together stronger on the other side. We are to see ourselves in open light, to be open and honest at all times, communicating always one to another. The greatest gift we can give our children is not the possessions of this world, it’s to teach them the true meaning of love. The love of Christ, the love of a man for his wife and for his family, the love of a woman to her husband and her family. It’s not about the money we make, the clothes we wear, the houses we live in, the vacations we take, it’s about the love of a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment