Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Faith without works is dead

Yesterday I took the time to read the book of James which showcasing the theme of "faith without works is dead." I took some time today to think through that theme and to think back to a message preached at church about our faith without work, faith without action. I must say that I'm not doing enough "work" with my faith. I'm not volunteering, I'm not helping out, I'm not getting involved...I'm a lame duck sitting in the pew soaking up the good news words but not doing anything with them. It's time I take a step back and think of all that I can do to help, to be involved, to spread the love of Christ to those around me. Even if it's just by me living a better Christian life and someone else seeing it and wanting it for themselves.
Today I read the book of Jonah, a strange little book in my opinion. We all understand the story of Jonah being told to go to Ninevah and instead he chose to flee his country for another as if he could out-run or hide from God. He ended up on a ship where the wind and the waves wrecked havoc because he was on the ship and in order to bring peace and balance back they threw him into the sea. There he was swallowed by a great fish where he remained for three days. That's pretty much the just of all four chapters of the book of Jonah. However, this too made me think - it's because of Jonah's disobedience to the call of God that he was punished/imprisoned in the belly of the whale. It took those three days to bring Jonah to his knees with the understanding that he had brought this punishment upon himself. I hate to say it but I will because I feel it's true, I don't believe I've ever truly heard God's call in my life. I don't believe I've ever heard that "still small voice" guiding me in one direction or another. I do know though that God is with me daily and He continues to get me through. My life may not have always been on course but even with the bumps and the detours he gets me back on track. So yet another goal of mine for the coming year is not only to be in the word daily, to strengthen my relationship with the Lord, to endeavor to have a better prayer life......now add to the list "listen for God's will, God's call upon my life."

No comments:

Post a Comment